If you have been considering a career in the event industry, you are in luck. The events industry is thriving here in Australia, and for many good reasons. Whether you are fresh out of university or are making a mid-life career change makes no difference. There is a place for anyone with any amount of experience if they want to work in the event industry. The more you know about the benefits, the more you may move closer to making the career leap a reality.
There are many events held throughout Australia each year. Throughout the cities of Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Canberra, Adelaide, Sydney and everywhere in between, there are business and trade conferences, corporate events, private parties, and more, that are held on a yearly basis. In fact, there are over 400,000 corporate events every year plus hundreds of thousands of other public events. Every event is a chance to be involved in helping to create, promote and carry out an event for those who are looking to put one on and attend one.
Here are 5 things to know about working in the event industry in Australia:
1. The atmosphere. If you like a career atmosphere that offers some fun and is fast-paced, then the event industry is right up your alley. Being at the helm of helping to put on events is a challenging career that brings change with each event. People who work in the event industry usually find that it provides a lot of fun and lots of challenges, keeping things fresh and new. You always have something new to look forward to, new challenges to take on, and new goals to meet.
2. Creativity counts. The event industry thrives on people being creative. Whether you are someone who will help with sales, staging, event management, public relations, or be an event organiser, there is lots of room for creativity. Your ideas and imagination will be welcome and rewarded in such a field. It’s a career where you get to take your ideas, present them to people, and actually help see them through to becoming a reality.
3. Variety rules. One of the things people love about being in the event planning career field in Australia is that there a lot of variety, from the many different types of events that you can help to organise, to the ways in which you can be a part of the field. You have the option to work for an event planning company, offer your services on a per-event type of basis, or start your own event planning business. There are many opportunities available.
4. Fulfillment is found. Being in the events industry and helping to organise things like business and trade conferences can bring a great sense of accomplishment. You will be helping to bring people together, use your skills to find adequate resources and meet goals, and will see the fruit of your labor as each event takes place. Seeing an event go off without a hitch is bound to bring about a great feeling of accomplishment and fulfillment.
5. Socializing is positive. If you are a people person, you will love to be in the front and center of this industry. You will get a chance to meet many people who are from all walks of life. Working clients, vendors, attendees, venue contacts, the media and more you will make contacts in a wide variety of industries. For the social butterfly, this can be a lot of fun! If you are not all that social, you can still enjoy the industry, but from a place that helps more behind the scenes.
No matter what type of industry you work in now, or what type of skills and experience you may have, the event industry may be a good fit for you. For those who have the right personality, drive, and passion for helping people pull off great events, it can be a rewarding experience and career. Whether you are focused on helping people to get the best possible name badges or custom promotional items for their business conference or you are finding the perfect venue to host an annual trade show, your skills can be an asset and that are appreciated and rewarded.